Law, Public Safety, Corrections, and Safety
Which pathways are offered?
- Protective Services—This pathway exposes students to careers in law enforcement with duties ranging from controlling traffic to preventing and investigating crimes. Law enforcement officers maintain order, enforce laws and ordinances, issue traffic summonses, investigate accidents, present evidence in court, serve legal documents for the court system, and apprehend, arrest, and process prisoners.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Police Officer
- Private Detective
- Security Guard
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample career salaries include:
- Police Officer—$67,290/year
- Private Detective—$53,320/year
- Security Guard—$31,080/year
* Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Friday, April 9, 2021.
Which industry-recognized certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- ACT National Career Readiness Certificate
- National Occupational Competency Testing Institute (NOCTI) Criminal Justice (Job Ready)