Computer Science and Information Technology
Which pathway is offered?
- Information Technology Systems—This pathway prepares students for careers in network systems and cybersecurity. Students develop skills in network analysis and planning and implementation, including design installation, maintenance, and management of network systems.
- Programming and Software Development—This pathway prepares students to design, develop, implement, and maintain computer systems and software, requiring knowledge of computer operating systems, programming and markup languages (JAVA, Python, C++, HTML5/CSS), and software development.
- Web Development—This pathway prepares students to create, design, and produce interactive multimedia products and services. This includes developing digitally generated or computer-enhanced media used in business, training, entertainment, communications, and marketing.
What types of jobs can my student learn about and prepare for?*
Some of the jobs include:
- Network Administrator
- Information Security Analyst
- Software Developer
- Computer Programmer
- Game Developer
- Web Designer
- Web Developer
What is the salary outlook?*
Salaries vary depending on the job title, but approximate sample career salaries include:
- Network Administrator—$84,810/year
- Software Developer—$110,140/year
- Computer Programmer—$89,190/year
- Web Developer—$77,200/year
* Some of these jobs require additional education and certifications once a student graduates from high school. Salaries vary depending on the job title, experience, and location. Bureau of Labor Statistics, U.S. Department of Labor, Occupational Outlook Handbook. Website last modified date: Wednesday, June 2, 2021.
Which industry-recognized certifications and exams can my student prepare for?
- ACT National Career Readiness certification
- Adobe Certified Associate certifications
- CTE Skill Certifications:
- Computer Programming 1
- Computer Programming 2
- Computer Science Principles
- Exploring Computer Science
- Game Development Fundamentals 1
- Game Development Fundamentals 2